Sunday, November 12, 2006

Who says age ain't nothing but a number?

Yesterday, Ben and I went do dinner at Ruby Tuesday's in the mall. As we were getting ready to leave, a bus boy walked up to the table next to me....I looked over by habit, and realized that it was an old friend from high school. We caught up on times, and I realized how much he had changed. For the better, and I say that with the comment that he was my friend before, and I was happy with who he was (hence, he was my friend), but that I'm glad to see that he's gotten his life more together than in the past (if he's reading this, he'll know what I mean). The thought crossed my mind on the way home that time goes by so fast....I think he's the first person from high school that I've ran into that actually changed - isn't still caught in the high school drama, still holding on to old grudges or memories, and has actually made an effort to do something worthwhile with his life. I'm proud of him. =)

However, ironically enough, I stopped at Sam's today and decided to get my car washed. Some kids were running a chairty car was, the Jeep needed it, and I had to run inside. I didn't ask questions, just made a donation, and went about my business. When I got back to the Jeep, they were still working on it, so I struck up a conversation. Come to find out, these kids were from my high school - despite two high schools being closer to where I was, and about a twenty mile trek from SLHS. Talking to these kids, I heard how much had changed, and was reminded about how glad I was to have those years over, and that life behind me. I chatted up one girl in particular (she was tired of washing cars, I'm sure), and as I walked away to get into my car, I told her, "Do yourself a favor....get out of Clermont after graduation. It's the best decision you'll ever make." She looked at me like I was crazy, and just said, "Okay" to appease me. Poor girl....she'll never learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment